Brett Kavanaugh

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Steve3007

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Steve3007 »

Greta wrote:Yes Steve, Dachshund rarely has anything even remotely philosophically valid to say. Usually he's just spruiking for the extreme right.
@Dachshund sets great store by the fact that he is a big strong powerful man and not a weak feeble woman. And his way of showing us that he is a big strong man is to anonymously sit at his computer telling 12 year old girls that they are stinking, negro apes. What a magnificent example of manhood.

I am absolutely serious in my offer to meet with this pathetic excuse for a man personally and introduce him to a real, living, breathing example of one of the human beings whom he takes such delight in abusing. If he is telling the truth about where he lives then I can be with him within about 3 hours. I'll await his message.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

And, lest we forget, here is that post from John of Hertfordshire, England, with a wife and a son, again:

viewtopic.php?p=323088#p323088
Dachshund wrote:(2) They emit a peculiar offensive body odour similar to Apes.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Steve3007 wrote: November 5th, 2018, 7:25 pm And, lest we forget, here is that post from John of Hertfordshire, England, with a wife and a son, again:

Yes, very screwed up, very neurotic. I wonder how common this view is amongst Trump and Kavanagh supporters, or if Dachs is an outlier?

Neil deGrasse Tyson wryly observed that whites tend to be much hairier than blacks or Asians, so the whole ape question could just as easily hinge on hirsuteness as any other superficial quality. Of course, back in reality, The data has been in for a long time, that we are one species, with similar DNA and sized and structured brains.

Personally, I haven't smelled non human apes enough to know the difference between suffocating under a tall white man's armpit on a squeezy train ride and a scent that would call to mind the declining forests of Africa. I'm thinking that the latter would be preferable.
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

I’d wager lefties here believe that when Trump said he was a nationalist he meant white supremist.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Steve3007 wrote: November 5th, 2018, 10:57 am In my experience, Dachshund's posts are generally either angry insults in capital letters or mindless verbatim copy-and-paste jobs from other sources. For example, this post:

viewtopic.php?p=323320#p323320

was copied word-for-word from here:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018 ... more-jobs/

(with only the change to the spelling of the word "Labor" to indicate that he might have actually read and thought about any of it.)

This post:

was copied word-for-word from here:

https://ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/l ... 2/apes.htm

He has done this kind of unacknowledged word-for-word copying since he first came here about a year ago. He appears to me to be incapable of thinking rationally for himself. If you try to engage him in an argument in which he has to actually think for himself, without simply looking up what someone he regards as an ally says and block-quoting them, you'll find that he has little to offer in the way of thoughtful analysis and tends to just angrily assert himself to be objectively right. He usually does this with capital letters, because, as we know, if you say something in capital letters it makes it more right.

This is probably why he explicitly advocates dictatorship and the genocide of people who look different from himself, by the removal from them of the protection of human status, very similarly to the way that humans have been compared to rats by similarly genocidal people in the past. Anger, fear and in-eloquence can be a dangerous combination. If he genuinely shares the views that he parrots here then he is a deeply disturbed and potentially dangerous person whose words here, if they were attached to a traceable person, would undoubtedly constitute a crime in the country in which he claims to live. If he were in a position of power and influence then the words that he has parroted about African people, and people of African descent, would in particular cause his presence to be "not conducive to the public good".
Ha ha. Good one. Apparently the post two above yours is of Breitbart origin.
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

DM what do you think righties believe Trump means by nationalist? And what do you think white supremacists believe? And what do you believe?
Unknown means unknown.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Greta wrote:Trump is simply creating an economic bubble.
It's the very simple "Drive away today! No money down!" used-car salesman technique. Massive increases in debt to bribe the electorate. The simple message is "vote for me and I will take money from your children and give it to you". Simple bribery like that totally works. Not just in the US. Everywhere. It's why the UK Tory government have recently suddenly announced that the post-financial-crisis age of austerity is miraculously over. It's why, after saying there is "no magic money tree", they suddenly found £1 billion to bribe the Ulster Unionists into supporting them when they lost their majority in parliament. As Neil Diamond sang "money talks". A leader who has no concern whatsoever for the medium/long-term future of his country can buy whatever power he wants, in the short term.

This is why Republicans like Paul Ryan, who have previously warned so very explicitly of the perils of this kind of irresponsible debt, are interesting to watch.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2018-10-02/ ... hawks-gone
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Greta wrote:Yes, very screwed up, very neurotic. I wonder how common this view is amongst Trump and Kavanagh supporters, or if Dachs is an outlier?
I think @Dachshund is an extreme outlier. We are, without any doubt, in the presence of a full-on unequivocal Nazi sympathiser. I think this is very rare and most people, of all political persuasions, are actually reasonably decent. This is why Godwin's law exists. It is a recognition of the fact that the vast majority of comparisons, in online discussions, with the Nazis are unjustified. Most. But not all.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Steve, I think there are a lot more who are in lockstep, or should I say goose step, with Dachshund then one might hope to be the case. There was a period of time in which human decency prevailed and those who thought and believed as he does were silent, but with Trump they now feel free to express their hatred openly. They think that Trump is honest because he says what they wanted to say but felt they could not say because it was not “PC”. That is not to say that everyone who is critical of PC is in this camp, but it seems like a sure bet that when they hear Trump attacking PC this is what it means to them and to him.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

There was a period of time in which human decency prevailed and those who thought and believed as he does were silent
Which period of time was this?
Unknown means unknown.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Steve3007 wrote: November 5th, 2018, 7:25 pm And, lest we forget, here is that post from John of Hertfordshire, England, with a wife and a son, again:

I assumed he was quoting Darwin.

I believe, but I could be mistaken, that he’s said Hitler was a monster as was Stalin. He is nationalistic, that doesn’t necessarily mean “white supremacist” even if he is that also.

I’m still waiting to see action on the slightly less right-wing democrats rather soppy finger pointing and shouting. It’s almost like they don’t know they’re playing right into Trump’s tiny hands :roll:
AKA badgerjelly
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Fooloso4 wrote:Steve, I think there are a lot more who are in lockstep, or should I say goose step, with Dachshund then one might hope to be the case...
Maybe. Anecdotally, in my immediate environment, this doesn't seem to be the case. When I step back into reality and talk to normal everyday people of all political persuasions I'm reminded just how bizarre and extraordinary his views are. But certainly he has explicitly stated here several times how wonderful he thinks it is that Trump is, as he sees it, destroying the stifling culture of political correctness which has (as he sees it) prevented people from telling these simple home truths about how large sub-sets of humanity should be disenfranchised and treated in the way that non-human animals are customarily treated.

This technique of labelling various human groups as non-humans, in order to strip them of rights and allow them to be treated in ways that are not generally considered acceptable for humans, obviously has a long history and would be an interesting topic in itself. It's interesting to think of the reasons why it works so well: There's the fact that we humans naturally tend to think in terms of a hierarchy with humans at the top and such things as insects or bacteria near the bottom. And there's the fact that the most effective comparisons are often with creatures that we tend to think of as pests (rats and cockroaches). But Dachshund's comparison with other higher primates obviously relies heavily on pointing out what are seen as unpleasant physical characteristics.

Perhaps it's worth starting a topic.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Steve3007 wrote: November 6th, 2018, 8:24 am
Greta wrote:Trump is simply creating an economic bubble.
It's the very simple "Drive away today! No money down!" used-car salesman technique. Massive increases in debt to bribe the electorate. The simple message is "vote for me and I will take money from your children and give it to you". Simple bribery like that totally works. Not just in the US. Everywhere. It's why the UK Tory government have recently suddenly announced that the post-financial-crisis age of austerity is miraculously over. It's why, after saying there is "no magic money tree", they suddenly found £1 billion to bribe the Ulster Unionists into supporting them when they lost their majority in parliament. As Neil Diamond sang "money talks". A leader who has no concern whatsoever for the medium/long-term future of his country can buy whatever power he wants, in the short term.

This is why Republicans like Paul Ryan, who have previously warned so very explicitly of the perils of this kind of irresponsible debt, are interesting to watch.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2018-10-02/ ... hawks-gone
That problem, and it is a serious one, is endemic to populist politics. On old homily of uncertain origin says that "Democracy is always but a temporary form of government. It endures only until the people discover they can vote themselves benefits from the public treasury."
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

quote=Eduk post_id=323393 time=1541491955 user_id=46986]
DM what do you think righties believe Trump means by nationalist? And what do you think white supremacists believe? And what do you believe?
[/quote]

First,about the Kavanaugh fiasco. Dems don't want a real investigation about Ford and her accusations any more more than they want a real investigation into H. Clinton's improprieties because that would include investigating her former boyfriend's claims that she lied under oath about not advising someone about how to take a lie detector test, her fear of flying and her self-described social ineptness. It would also include an investigation of another man's belief that it might have been him and a friend and not Kavanaugh that forced himself on her and Ford's own political activism in spite of claims to the contrary.

A nationalist "rallies round the flag" instead of his or her tribe (race, ethnicity, gender identity, etc.). Trump was right when he said it was "old fashioned." Globalism is preferred, IMO, but it requires the cooperation of all parties to yield up their national interests to a common ideal -- and I don't see that happening in my lifetime unless survival as a species becomes paramount.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

DM would you consider yourself a nationalist?
Unknown means unknown.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream