The conception of the wealthy "taking from the impoverished" is a ludicrous belief

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
ThomasHobbes

Re: The conception of the wealthy "taking from the impoverished" is a ludicrous belief

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Burning ghost wrote: September 11th, 2018, 6:15 am
ThomasHobbes wrote: September 11th, 2018, 5:42 am

This is an interesting assumption, which if far from clear from the empirical information.
Child mortality down, educational access up, health care up, and nutrition up.

Of course these empirical facts don’t necessarily translate into “better” if you choose to define “better” in subjective terms and refer more to opportunity or sense of a lack of opportunity, “happiness” and such. Generally there is more of a chance for people today than before, but because there are more people - due to above points - there are more people in poverty in terms of head counting.

Then the issue is more about what % is deemed “better” when referring to human lives. It’s hardly something easy to determine in a unanimous way. I think someone pointed out this problem earlier in regards to 1000 in 1000000 compared to 10 in 100. We’re not really evolved with the equipment to deal with such numbers not to mention the added problem of emotional attachment to those nearest and dearest rather than some soul on the other side of the world in horrific conditions.
In many countries there is no change in these statistics.
And it all depends on your time-scale.
Compared to 19thC urban living we are doing much better in the West. But go back before cities and you don't get the diseases at all.
Go and visit newly "civilised" tribes, and the incidence of heart disease and diabetes as a direct result of contact with so-called civilisation is a direct cause of these novel diseases.
Several countries still have life expectancy of 40.
Modern societies have more stress, more pollution, less natural environments.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: The conception of the wealthy "taking from the impoverished" is a ludicrous belief

Post by Hereandnow »

BG
Note: 15:00 what Mrs Gates says about teachers and education, and the closing remarks about their ability to fund things governments simply cannot take a risk trying for fear of public backlash.
I read it. But it is philosophically vacuous. Just squabbly BS. Look BG: a thought your post on aesthetics (an underattended theme) a good one, and I responded, but no You. Elsewhere you have good thoughts. Why waste energy of this? I blame myself, really. I did encourage.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Gates is a vacuous moron, giving nothing more than crumbs off his table. A table that lies heavy with the labour of others whom he has not properly rewarded for the last 40 years. And laden with the taxes he ought to have paid but avoided, and evaded.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

ThomasHobbes
A table that lies heavy with the labour of others whom he has not properly rewarded for the last 40 years. And laden with the taxes he ought to have paid but avoided, and evaded.
Yes. Just yes.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Hereandnow wrote: September 11th, 2018, 6:07 pm
ThomasHobbes
A table that lies heavy with the labour of others whom he has not properly rewarded for the last 40 years. And laden with the taxes he ought to have paid but avoided, and evaded.
Yes. Just yes.
Not to mention the overpriced monopoly Microsoft has on failing Software.

For years Excel had an unavoidable division by zero error built into the programme. If you used the helpline they thanked you for pointing out the error , admitted they knew about the fault and then charged you £60 for telling you that they were going to do nothing to help.
They are currently in the habit of charging yearly subscriptions for their "Office" of bloatware, that has not been significantly revised since they were first coded in 1995.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Fair comments but, in Bill Gates's defence, I'd rather tycoons like him, Musk and Branson than the likes of Trump, the Kochs and Murdoch. Given where the situation we have has spiralled into and the power differentials, a billionaire who is not entirely evil and manipulative is something for which we can be thankful!

Further, I must admit to a long term love affair with Excel, despite its annoyances. It was a long and happy relationship broken up by my retirement and the adequacy of free office packages for my home use. From memory I used conditionals to deal with division by zero errors.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Rule of marketing: If all that matters is sales and the law, then it is foolish not to bend, alter, exaggerate, fudge, dissimulate the truth. If you don't, the competition will and they will win because of it. Therefore, ALL business bends, alters, and the rest. I see no way around this at all. I never thought of till Trump gave me the question, why of why does this man incessantly? SImple, because it sells. And it turns out he is right. People bought it.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

...lie incessantly?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Hereandnow wrote: September 11th, 2018, 5:54 pm
BG
Note: 15:00 what Mrs Gates says about teachers and education, and the closing remarks about their ability to fund things governments simply cannot take a risk trying for fear of public backlash.
I read it. But it is philosophically vacuous. Just squabbly BS. Look BG: a thought your post on aesthetics (an underattended theme) a good one, and I responded, but no You. Elsewhere you have good thoughts. Why waste energy of this? I blame myself, really. I did encourage.
Nope. You keep this up and I’ll continue. Like I said I can play this game too. I said PM yet you prefer to look stupid in public instead. Your choice.
AKA badgerjelly
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Eduk wrote: September 11th, 2018, 3:32 am Hereandnow. Personally I would say countereducational factors, as you mentioned, are very important. Education is far from perfect. But it is used far from perfectly. I dare say education would be vastly improved with model students, far beyond what additional funding through current channels would achieve.
I mean if the rich control the government then simply giving the government more money in taxes isn't going to be good enough by half.
There is so so much wrong with the world beyond wage disparity. Besides to fix wage disparity you have to look at the causes not simply take all money and divvy it out. Communism has been well proven to be much less efficient than capalist democracies.
Also no one answered Steve's earlier point. People, even poor people, are better off than they have ever been.
Finally I honestly do not mean to be harsh with anyone. When I say learn how to learn I mean the process of learning. Where do you look. How do you study. How do you tell good information from bad. How to do you tell good teachers from bad. Etc etc. Take for example critical thinking, this arms you with general logic skills which can be applied to many many areas of study. Oh and personally I have never stopped learning, leaving school was not the end of my education.
In absolute terms, yes. But relative to where the (previously) vibrant middle class would have been without the Reagan trickledown economic failure of the 80's they are much worse off.
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Not sure we are relatively worse off either. For example my old boss has a couple of hundred million in the bank, or thereabouts. He drives to work in his Ferrari. I believe he has a wife and kids. He's a young earth creationist. He's frustrated creatively. I assume he lives in a massive house. I guess he holidays well.
I personally, adding everything up, would prefer my life.
Unknown means unknown.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Eduk wrote: September 12th, 2018, 2:56 am Not sure we are relatively worse off either. For example my old boss has a couple of hundred million in the bank, or thereabouts. He drives to work in his Ferrari. I believe he has a wife and kids. He's a young earth creationist. He's frustrated creatively. I assume he lives in a massive house. I guess he holidays well.
I personally, adding everything up, would prefer my life.
You are probably correct, though including non monetary differences things to compensate for wealth inequity in a topic about wealth inequity is a dodge. Or to put it differently, while I agree your comment is accurate, imagine an alternate future where your old boss has half as much in the bank (still over a hundred million) and you have an additional 40,000 in the bank. Better, eh?
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

You are probably correct, though including non monetary differences things to compensate for wealth inequity in a topic about wealth inequity
I guess my point is that money is logarithmic. Makes a huge difference initially and then tails off. In England we have welfare such as free housing, free healthcare etc etc, many of my basic needs are met even if I have literally zero money.
I never said there wasn't wealth inequality. I never said wealth inequality is amazing. I just said it's complex, not black and white, and there are no easy fixes. Well in honesty there is a super easy fix, if everyone would just be better then wealth inequality would be fixed overnight (but that is obviously a fantasy). What we are really talking about is about how to improve people who do not want to improve (or at least that is how I understand the conversation).
Unknown means unknown.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Greta wrote: September 11th, 2018, 8:20 pm Fair comments but, in Bill Gates's defence, I'd rather tycoons like him, Musk and Branson than the likes of Trump, the Kochs and Murdoch. Given where the situation we have has spiralled into and the power differentials, a billionaire who is not entirely evil and manipulative is something for which we can be thankful!

Further, I must admit to a long term love affair with Excel, despite its annoyances. It was a long and happy relationship broken up by my retirement and the adequacy of free office packages for my home use. From memory I used conditionals to deal with division by zero errors.
From my memory this was an "unavoidable" error. Do you realise that Excel contained a hidden flight simulator.
It was such an absurd example of bloatware that the bureaucracy supposedly in control of the code failed to realise that programers had hidden the flight simulator in the program. Excel when out for sale with MS totally unaware of its existence.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I don't really get your point Thomas. We can all agree that excel isn't perfect. Is anyone saying it is?
I assume you believe it can and should be better? What are you actually proposing?
I use various software for my work. None of the software is perfect. All of the software is vastly vastly incomprehensibly superior to what I could achieve alone and unaided. I mean I suspect I'd be more than happy with inventing a pointy stick if left entirely to my own devices.
By the way I prefer Google docs to excel if you are looking for an alternative. One of the strengths, if not the main strength, of capatilism is that businesses can fail.
Personally I think that if anything it is business which isn't allowed to fail that is more of a problem than mega rich.
Unknown means unknown.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream